Selection Committee

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team

Re: Selection Committee

Postby BearDownAZ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

greg23 wrote:This isn't hard or complicated

It's the four best teams not the four best conf cham game winners.

The Pac 12 was down and thei champ lost twice and dump trucked at Notre dame

The Big 10 was worse and their conf champ lost twice and to a .500 team by 31....and the conf did NOT have a non conf win cs a BCS school and hasn't scored a fking point in the playoffs in 3 years.

They got the 4 best teams (one could argue Ohio st va uga) and the 1-2 point spreads in the semi finals indicate a fairly even group of 4 (and I like both dogs to win) contested to last year Where not favs were laying double digits and won/covered easily.

The point Greg is that if its the four best teams, then what is the reason for the conference championship games? Also, it is "hard" and "complicated" whenever you're dealing with a committee picking teams subjectively. There's always going to be questions especially when only 4 teams get to play for the national championship. The only solution that makes sense if you want to keep the conference championship games is to expand the playoff to 8 teams with automatic selections for the power 5 conference champs. Yes, subjectivity will still be involved in picking 3 at large teams and there will be drama when At Large Team A is chosen over At Large Team B but conference champs would no longer be snubbed in favor of at large teams.
BearDownAZ

Postby Doug » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm

It's also hard to say Alabama is better when Ohio State and USC played 9 conference games rather than 8 (there's one more high level OOC equivalent), then survived a championship game, again against a top 15 or 5 team, while Alabama had to deal with Mercer in prep for Auburn (basically, a bye week), and STILL lost.

Not sure I buy a team with one loss and two less top games is better than a 2 loss team. Especially when the team they lost to was able to navigate the division pretty well, suggesting maybe the division Bama took 2nd in wasn't all that good.

I mean...if you don't have to prove it on the field and with championships, why don't we just go back to the poll-based title completely?
Doug

Postby BearDownAZ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Doug wrote:It's also hard to say Alabama is better when Ohio State and USC played 9 conference games rather than 8 (there's one more high level OOC equivalent), then survived a championship game, again against a top 15 or 5 team, while Alabama had to deal with Mercer in prep for Auburn (basically, a bye week), and STILL lost.

Not sure I buy a team with one loss and two less top games is better than a 2 loss team. Especially when the team they lost to was able to navigate the division pretty well, suggesting maybe the division Bama took 2nd in wasn't all that good.

I mean...if you don't have to prove it on the field and with championships, why don't we just go back to the poll-based title completely?

This
BearDownAZ

Postby NativeCat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Vegascat wrote:Go to Eight Teams. All Power 5 Conference Champions and 3 at larges for the Alabamas of this year and Penn States of last year. If you have to reduce the number of regular season games from 12 to 11, so be it. It makes wining your conference all the more meaningful and doesn't penalize conferences like the PAC 12 which beat each other up and play one extra conference game. And it wouldn't penalize you for scheduling tough non-conference opponents because even if you lose, you can still make the playoffs by winning your conference.

Mr. Vegascat.....that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out recommendation......denied.

Sincerely,
The NCAA
NativeCat

Postby Wildcat Jones » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:03 pm

NativeCat wrote:
Vegascat wrote:Go to Eight Teams. All Power 5 Conference Champions and 3 at larges for the Alabamas of this year and Penn States of last year. If you have to reduce the number of regular season games from 12 to 11, so be it. It makes wining your conference all the more meaningful and doesn't penalize conferences like the PAC 12 which beat each other up and play one extra conference game. And it wouldn't penalize you for scheduling tough non-conference opponents because even if you lose, you can still make the playoffs by winning your conference.

Mr. Vegascat.....that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out recommendation......denied.

Sincerely,
The NCAA

Sure, I've heard of grits. I just never actually *seen* a grit before.
Wildcat Jones

Postby Vegascat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Wildcat Jones wrote:
NativeCat wrote:

Sincerely,
The NCAA

Sure, I've heard of grits. I just never actually *seen* a grit before.

A few months ago I had a labor arbitration against the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department for a Sergeant who was demoted after a cluster fuck of a lengthy vehicle pursuit.

The Internal Affairs Investigative Report stated that my Sergeant's vehicle traveled 2.8 miles in 44 seconds. To travel 2.8 miles and 44 seconds requires a vehicle to travel at 229 m.p.h.– which is faster than the now discontinued Ford Police Interceptor model Crown Victoria could go.

It was all I could do to restrain myself cross-examining poor Captain Plummer, who the Department called as its primary witness (they were too embarrassed to call the internal affairs detective), and asking in my best Joe Pesci voice: "Was this a magic Crown Vic? Did the Department buy this vehicle from the same guy who sold Jack his beans?" :D
Vegascat

Postby Stu Gotz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 am

You ‘yoots’ are killing me with this stuff.
Stu Gotz

Previous

Return to Football