Ken Niumatalolo Can Bring Arizona Football Back Home

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team

Re: Ken Niumatalolo Can Bring Arizona Football Back Home

Postby Iggy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Who is Mike Flores?

Or there's this from Gimino:

Last edited by Iggy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy

Postby El Gato » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Iggy wrote:Who is Mike Flores?

Does it matter? This is Hansen quoting a guy who's speculating. WTF does that have to do with anything? Other than the fact that all of Greg's contacts are no longer at UofA or retired.
Twitter - @ElGatoRojoAzul
El Gato

Postby Black Oaks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Does it matter? This is Hansen quoting a guy who's speculating. WTF does that have to do with anything? Other than the fact that all of Greg's contacts are no longer at UofA or retired.

I would also add contacts that are not alive today to the list. :|
Black Oaks

Postby AzCatFan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

The difference is the formations. Triple option usually has a QB, RB, and a FB, a TE or two, and one or two receivers. It's usually a very tight at-the-line formation. In contrast, RichRod runs a spread offense, usually with only 1 back and 4 WRs, or 1 back, 1 TE, and 3 WRs. Splits on the line are usually wider.

The other difference is the triple option is more of a run only option. Either hand it off up the middle or the QB runs wide with an option to pitch. We ran a lot of read option (QB reads DE and hands off if the DE stays and keeps of the DE crashes the middle). We also ran a lot of RPO (run-pass option) plays.

With that said, our run to pass ratio last year was close to 2:1 run to pass. So in that regard, we were running a lot last year.
AzCatFan

Postby sharkeez » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm

also, in the triple option, the qb takes the snap from behind center.
in the rpo, the qb is in shotgun formation.

i picked a bad week to stop sniffing airplane glue.
sharkeez

Postby greg23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Do those people watch football?

There is a huge difference in what Navy/GT runs and what we ran.
greg23

Postby Maui » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm

I am in Annapolis this weekend with my son (also known as Little Maui, who grew up at AFO tailgates), who is on his official visit this weekend at the Naval Academy after committing to Navy last September. We are scheduled to have dinner with Coach Niumatalolo tonight. Not sure what to expect....
Maui

Postby Stu Gotz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Maui wrote:I am in Annapolis this weekend with my son (also known as Little Maui, who grew up at AFO tailgates), who is on his official visit this weekend at the Naval Academy after committing to Navy last September. We are scheduled to have dinner with Coach Niumatalolo tonight. Not sure what to expect....

Not sure what you expect, but I expect you to tell Coach N to ‘go West’, and bring Little Maui with him!! :D
Stu Gotz

Postby greg23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Talked and texted 6 buddies and 1 co worker

0-7 on the navy coach hire.

Sounds like a typical ua football coach hire.
greg23

Postby Filthy Cats » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

greg23 wrote:Talked and texted 6 buddies and 1 co worker

0-7 on the navy coach hire.

Sounds like a typical ua football coach hire.

Let me guess? They are all 7-0 for Sumlin?

Give me the choice of either one and I'd take Niumatalolo.

The entire city is obsessed with Sumlin...I'm not buying that he's the answer.

He took over someone else's roster and won 11 games, then subsequently lost 4, 5, 5, 5 and then fired.

Whose record does that look like? Rich Rod never lost less than 4 in all six seasons....5, 5, 4, 6, 9, 6.

That's a shitload of L's on both fronts.

And Sumlin lost all those games with SEC level talent, top 10 recruiting classes.

Meanwhile Niumatalolo has taken Navy to 9 bowls in the last 10 years with players that wouldn't be caught dead in an SEC uniform.

Coaching Navy/Army/Air Force has got to be one of the toughest jobs in college football, and he's the only one that has been consistently good at it.

Imagine what he'll do at Arizona with less roster restrictions? He's not going to run the same Triple Option. You do realize that he ran the option there because he had no choice? Because none of the academies have a choice if they want to stand any chance on gameday?

There's chatter that he'd bring in a new offensive coordinator that will run something similar to what Oregon does.

He will revitalize this entire university the minute he steps onto campus...a cleansing of all these bullshit scandals we've seen occur in the last year.

And he will win...consistently. The last time we had a coach that did that? Dick Tomey. No coincidence he's Niumatalolo's mentor.
Filthy Cats

PreviousNext

Return to Football