Postby GWink9 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:40 am

I thought it should've been

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Alabama
6. USC

How did Wisconsin sneak in there with a weak schedule and losing their championship game when USC won the Pac-12 Championship? And also Alabama hasn't played anyone and lost to Auburn who lost to Georgia by 3 TDs in the Championship, but Ohio State doesn't get in after winning theirs?
GWink9

Re: Selection Committee

Postby greg23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:53 am

From a betting perspective; the four strongest teams im order were

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio st
Oklahoma
greg23

Postby BearDownAZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 am

Pretty sure that 31 point loss to Iowa sealed the Buckeyes' fate early especially when a team like Alabama has just one loss on its resume with the Buckeyes having two.
BearDownAZ

One of Ohio St's losses was to Final 4 Oklahoma

Postby Jack Handey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I think they should have gotten the nod for scheduling that game as opposed to Alabama scheduling Mercer. OSU won their conference championship...I think they had a better argument to be in top 4 than Alabama did.
Jack Handey

Postby 92cat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm

So Penn State should have gone last year instead of OSU. Penn State won the conference and beat OSU but OSU still got the invite then got smoked by Clemson.
92cat

Postby gouacats » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:01 pm

My (unpopular) opinion is that, with a 4 game playoff, you should have to win your league to earn an invite. If the league title games don't count, then don't play them. I thought "all" of the games mattered.
gouacats

Postby BearDownAZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm

I agree with the comments from Jack and GoUACats. . . the reality is that no two loss team is going to jump a one loss Alabama team no matter what they do unless that team happened to beat Alabama in the conference championship game. In the end, the championship series is still flawed and I think the only solution would be to rank the conference championship winners in order and pick your best four from those teams. Forget about at large bullshit unless the committee is willing to expand the championship series to 8 teams.
BearDownAZ

Postby greg23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:13 pm

This isn't hard or complicated

It's the four best teams not the four best conf cham game winners.

The Pac 12 was down and thei champ lost twice and dump trucked at Notre dame

The Big 10 was worse and their conf champ lost twice and to a .500 team by 31....and the conf did NOT have a non conf win cs a BCS school and hasn't scored a fking point in the playoffs in 3 years.

They got the 4 best teams (one could argue Ohio st va uga) and the 1-2 point spreads in the semi finals indicate a fairly even group of 4 (and I like both dogs to win) contested to last year Where not favs were laying double digits and won/covered easily.
greg23

Postby Vegascat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Go to Eight Teams. All Power 5 Conference Champions and 3 at larges for the Alabamas of this year and Penn States of last year. If you have to reduce the number of regular season games from 12 to 11, so be it. It makes wining your conference all the more meaningful and doesn't penalize conferences like the PAC 12 which beat each other up and play one extra conference game. And it wouldn't penalize you for scheduling tough non-conference opponents because even if you lose, you can still make the playoffs by winning your conference.

Vegascat

Postby sharkeez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Vegascat wrote: ... and doesn't penalize conferences like the PAC 12 which beat each other up and play one extra conference game. And it wouldn't penalize you for scheduling tough non-conference opponents because even if you lose, you can still make the playoffs by winning your conference.

how does the SEC keep getting away with an 8-game conference season and 1 FCS opponent per year? 1-less conference game + 1 FCS opponent = the SEC distributes 7 less losses throughout their conference. it's much easier for the teams at the top to maintain playoff worthy records.
sharkeez

Next

Return to Football