Looking like Foster Farms Bowl vs Purdue on 12/27

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team

Looking like Foster Farms Bowl vs Purdue on 12/27

Postby Iggy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 pm

6:30 MST on Fox. I dig the national audience.

Was hoping for the Holiday Bowl but I'll take it. Wonder if they'll give them chicken nuggets as a post game meal....

Iggy

Re: Looking like Foster Farms Bowl vs Purdue on 12/27

Postby AzCatFan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:11 pm

I'll take it. BCS opponent, national audience, N. California where we often get a recruit or two, and played late enough to get all our practices and Tate healed. Pretty good for a team picked to finish dead last in the PAC.
AzCatFan

Postby Iggy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:26 pm

This is EXACTLY why I wanted the later bowl date as opposed to the Las Vegas Bowl....

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Pac-12 Bowl Lineup

Cotton: USC vs Ohio State
Fiesta: Washington vs Penn State
Alamo: Stanford vs TCU
Holiday: Washington State vs Michigan State
Foster Farms: Arizona vs Purdue
Sun: ASu vs NC State
Las Vegas: Oregon vs Boise State
Cactus: UCLA vs Kansas State
Heart of Dallas: Utah vs West VA
Iggy

Postby Filthy Cats » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 pm

I approve. Not the most glamourous B10 opponent, but better than playing Fresno or SDSU like other projections for the Foster Farm opponent showed. There was concern that the B10 wouldn't fill their obligation to the FF bowl, but somehow that changed.

I yawned when I first heard Purdue, but then after doing some research I am really intrigued by this game.

At first glance by looking at their schedule and scores, they appear to have a good defense. The most points they gave up all year was 35 in the season opener against Heisman trophy winner Lamar Jackson and Louisville (so they won't be in awe of Tate). They allowed teams to score in the 20's or teens (or less) in all other games.

They have a new coach in his first year making a bowl game, their first since the 2012 season.

They were never blown out of a game despite some stiff competition. They lost 17-9 at NY6 participant Wisconsin in October. Three other losses by a score or less. Hung with ranked Louisville and lost by 7 in season opener, and lost 28-10 vs. Michigan.

This will be tough sledding against what appears to be a typical gritty Midwestern team. At first glance, they remind me of Stanford a little.

Got history? Yes we do. Remember they shellacked us in the Mackovic era in West Laffayette, 59-7 in 2003. Two years later in Stoops' 2nd season in Tucson, we gave #12 ranked Purdue all they could handle before losing 31-24.

Not to mention their hoops team just un-dressed us by 25 in the Bahamas.

Screw Purdon't! We owe them a little payback!

Here's an article with some good background on Purdue and their ascension under new coach Jeff Brohm:
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/11/25/doyel-jeff-brohm-has-purdue-football-back-faster-than-anyone-dreamed/893666001/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Filthy Cats

Postby Iggy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Yep, Purdue is a solid team. Look at the 11/18 victory at Iowa. The same Iowa who spanked Ohio State 55-24 on that same field a few weeks prior that most likely kept the Buckeyes out of the CFP.
Iggy

Postby NativeCat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

I love it. Great matchup with a 'relatively equivalent' team that is on the rise. This has potential to be a great game....Purdue and Arizona teams/fans should both be fired up for this game. I am definitely going to look into taking the family to the Bay area for this game! This game most certainly fires me up more than a game against a Boise State would. Boise St has been through a junior league circuit on their way to a strong season.....Purdue, like Arizona, has navigated a big league schedule to get here.
NativeCat

Postby Black Oaks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 am

In a way, it is almost a mini Rose Bowl. PAC 12 vs Big 10. Bay area is a great place to visit and there is a parade every night in the Castro district. I don't think we are in Indiana anymore Toto. :o

I used to have an original copy of the above post card. San Francisco is stranger than one might imagine. A great place for hetero males as the hetero females do not have a lot of choices.

Bearing Down on you can check out any time you wish, but you can never leave
Black Oaks

Assu to the East Nogales Bowl.

Postby tempecatfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 am

Can we please refer to the Sun Bowl as "The East Nogales Bowl" from now on?
Lost to the fuckers but at least we aren't going to fucking El Paso, err East Nogales.
For those unaware, the great unwashed refer to Tucson as "North Nogales".
tempecatfan

Postby Black Oaks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 am

I personally think Tempe is derogatory enough. El Paso could be east Tempe.
Black Oaks

Return to Football