ASu says it's to operate like an NFL team

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team

Re: ASu says it's to operate like an NFL team

Postby El Gato » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 am

I sincerely hope that ASu runs its football team like Herm Edwards' NFL teams - well below .500.
Twitter - @ElGatoRojoAzul
El Gato

Postby Filthy Cats » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:19 pm

All I can say after reading about this hire, seeing the twitter reactions, and watching the Herm Edwards press conference...is that this will go one of two ways. He will be a rousing success or this will turn into a raging dumpster fire. There will be no in between, and I think we'll find out pretty quickly which direction this will go.

One thing I'll say is that he has one thing going for him, and it's big. ESPN is in love with him and will never say anything bad about him and will likely promote the shit out of ASu now.
Filthy Cats

Postby b_dog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Filthy Cats wrote:One thing I'll say is that he has one thing going for him, and it's big. ESPN is in love with him and will never say anything bad about him and will likely promote the shit out of ASu now.

People said when we hired Mackovic that his "insider" access would give us a huge advantage in coverage and recruiting; that never happened. There was a similar discussion with RichRod from his year at CBSS, and that turned out the same; Tim Brando says reasonably nice things about him, but it's always balanced for the other coach, too. Once you're out, you're out. Everybody falls all over themselves for ESPN, regardless, so they don't need Edwards for any access they want. And national interest in the Pac-12 and ASu is what it is, and that's the level they'll cater to. Like it or not, we're generally late-night content and the LA TV market to them, and not much beyond that. I honestly don't see any great TV bump for this any more than we've experienced with Mackovic and RichRod, and I don't see recruits lining up because he was once on TV as one of many analysts. It pretty quickly turns into what school you're representing, what's their reputation, and what's your won/lost record.
Bear Down
b_dog

+1--deep thinking!

Postby Jack Handey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Filthy Cats wrote:All I can say after reading about this hire, seeing the twitter reactions, and watching the Herm Edwards press conference...is that this will go one of two ways. He will be a rousing success or this will turn into a raging dumpster fire. There will be no in between, and I think we'll find out pretty quickly which direction this will go.

One thing I'll say is that he has one thing going for him, and it's big. ESPN is in love with him and will never say anything bad about him and will likely promote the shit out of ASu now.

I have been saying same thing...there will be no middle ground.
Jack Handey

Postby illzoni » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Catholic Herm doesn't get that Devils Digest is a play on the Sun Devils nickname:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ils-mascot
illzoni

Postby gouacats » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm

illzoni wrote:Catholic Herm doesn't get that Devils Digest is a play on the Sun Devils nickname:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ils-mascot

This is great entertainment while waiting for bowl season!
gouacats

Previous

Return to Football