Wilner reacts to Herm hire

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team

Wilner reacts to Herm hire

Postby ValleyCat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Most interesting take by Wilner:
. One matter is abundantly, and fascinatingly, clear:

Arizona State is a member of the same educational system as Arizona but operates by an entirely different set of financial rules.

There’s no chance the Wildcats could spend like ASu’s spending.

In fact, I’m not sure ASu is on the same plane as anyone else in the conference, at least not the public schools.

Anyone else marvel at Anderson saying that it was “on me” to figure out (after the fact) how to fund Todd Graham’s $12 million buyout — like it was a dinner bill from the PF Chang’s on Mill Ave.

Obviously, Crow is hell bent on trying to get football right — to his credit, he understands the campus-wide benefits to a winning program — and I can only assume he’s using the cash cow that is ASu’s online education program to support the massively-subsidized athletic department...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/04/a ... -play/amp/
ValleyCat

Re: Wilner reacts to Herm hire

Postby b_dog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 pm

For the most part, Wilner's full column is as skeptical as most of the rest of the sports commentators. However, I've got a comment or two regarding what could be interpreted as a bit of a backhand from Wilner at The UofA (bearing in mind the issues during his time here), in terms of our finances relative to ASu. For the most recent available years, Arizona's endowment is $660.7M, compared to ASu's $612.6M. Arizona's annual athletic revenues, including donations and rights fees, is $100M, which is in the national Top 25. ($9M in football revenue, $8M in basketball revenue.) ASu is not in the Top 25. So, any interpretation of his comment that views The University as any kind of poor relation to ASu is misinformed; quite the contrary. To the extent anybody wants to (overly graciously, IMO) assume he's talking exclusively about the absolutely outrageous financial irresponsibility ASu has been allowed to get away with under the "oversight" of the ABOR and state legislature, any person who's knowledgeable about the circumstances would agree with that. Then, you have to start asking yourself some very hard questions about that whole situation, including long-term media coverage and voting patterns. In any event, like most Wildcat fans, I welcome this turn of events with open arms. If Taggert and Leavitt both bolt for FSU, depending on how that turns out, we may have a real window of opportunity for the next couple of years. If ASu had the kind of money the top SEC teams have, maybe they could do the big upstaffing and delegating approach. But with the current staff, playing with the org chart doesn't do much for you, and they can't exactly out-bid top college and NFL teams for an amazing staff. Maybe they can be even more ridiculous about money short-term and just kick the can down the road, but it's not sustainable and at some point it'll come home to roost. And you can only sell promises and the future for so long before you've got to sell what, if anything, you've actually accomplished.
Bear Down
b_dog

Wilner pretty clearly is speculating, but...

Postby ValleyCat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:50 pm

he seems to think Crowe is using the revenue from ASu's online enrollment to "massively subsidize" (Wilner's words) the athletic program. We already know that UofA does not "massively" subsidize athletics.
ValleyCat

Postby b_dog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Yeah, I saw that. Well, if that's true, that's really news...all the way from San Jose. Actually, considering the educational funding issues in the state of Arizona, it might qualify as a major scandal. But, I suspect he just pulled it out of thin air and started typing. I'd bet this is actually more ASu shell game/accounting. Do whatever you want, move the numbers around to avoid immediate criticism, defer the actual cost while you hope for a big revenue boost that'll never happen, and then start crying that you're in the red and beg for help. It's probably true The UofA couldn't get away with that level of irresponsibility, but that's another story for another day.
Bear Down
b_dog

Postby AzCatFan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:40 pm

If Crowe is subsidizing athletics from the online programs, there has to be a paper trail since ASu is a state institution. I don't know if it would qualify as a scandal, but the news probably wouldn't go over too well, especially students paying tuition at ASu. Wilner makes an interesting claim, and one I hope somebody out there does a little research to see if it is true.
AzCatFan

Postby Black Oaks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Massive on line is a perverted way to learn. Short courses yes, but a full degree by home study does not ring though for me unless the job you earn your living in is all on line also.

I note with some pride that the new president at the University of Arizona is talking about raising the entrance standards in order to keep up with peer Universities. That sort of sounds to me like ASu is not considered a peer. As pointed out by the Simpsons show
“Looks like heaven is easier to get into than Arizona State.”

And then of course

:evil: test to see if you are a true Arizona State fan :evil:

A seven course meal is a bucket of KFC and a sixpack.
One of your kids was born on a pool table.
Your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand.
Someone asks to see your ID and you show them your belt buckle.
Your house doesn’t have curtains, but your truck does.
You need one more hole punched in your card to get a freebie at the House of Tattoos.
You have flowers planted in a bathroom fixture in your front yard.
You think the Mountain Men in Deliverance were just “misunderstood”.
If you refer to the fifth grade as, “your senior year”.
You’ve ever climbed a water tower with a bucket of paint to defend your sister’s honor.
It’s easier to spray weed killer on your lawn than mow it.
You’ve been on TV more than 5 times describing the sound of a tornado.
Your aunt and your grandmother went to the funeral and had a fight over who gets to be the widow.
You can tell your age by the number of rings in the bathtub.

And it goes on and on and on

Bearing Down on the mirage on the desert
Black Oaks

Postby catnaz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 am

Interesting the way Wilner wrote that ... "and I can only assume he’s using the cash cow that is ASu’s online education program to support the massively-subsidized athletic department..."

Maybe splitting hairs, but the way I read that sentence is that Wilner is just assuming that online education program is supporting the athletic department (he doesn't really know), but that athletic department is massively subsidized (like it's a fact).
catnaz

Postby Doug » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 pm

it could be directly?

Or it could be that the crazy numbers of students they have because of the online program are all being charged the athletics fee, which is paying for this mess. 50,000 online students who do not use the facilities or live on campus being charged the athletic fee is free money.
Doug

Return to Football