Thamel on coach hires:

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team

Thamel on coach hires:

Postby ValleyCat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm

He says UCLA is the big winner. Hard to argue with him on that.

He says big losers are Texas A&M (I agree; don't see Fisher as a $75 M upgrade) & ASu (I am not so sure Herm is the disastrous hire many people think it is.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/bi ... ssion=true
ValleyCat

Re: Thamel on coach hires:

Postby Black Oaks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:35 am

Heerm seems to be a very nice person, I just wonder about the chemistry at ASu ?
Black Oaks

Postby Filthy Cats » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:04 pm

I watch Brad Cesmat's weekly football show on FoxSportsAZ every week. He was very high on Billy Napier, who is currently the ASu assistant head coach/offensive coordinator from Bama who falls under the Saban coaching tree (with a Clemson background as well), and he is a potential fall-back if things with Herm go south. Basically a "Head Coach in Waiting". Cesmat indicated that Napier is highly thought of and someone that ASu wanted to make sure stayed with the program because of his potential.
Filthy Cats

Postby Mountaincat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:51 am

If he has that much potential, then ASu should have just hired Napier straight out. Now they have lost their DC coach and others may run now that Edwards is the "CEO". The Edwards hire is going to fail..... and on another note.....why is Todd Graham coaching in the bowl game? Did he win a consolation prize for being fired. They are paying him his full buyout anyway. If he is that bad, then he should have cleared out of Edwards office already. Of course maybe he has.
Mountaincat

Postby Black Oaks » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am

why is Todd Graham coaching in the bowl game? Did he win a consolation prize for being fired. They are paying him his full buyout anyway. If he is that bad, then he should have cleared out of Edwards office already. Of course maybe he has.

Good question, I expect it is for his resume. Might help him get is next "dream job". No rush of course. ASu will dip into the old cans of corn annuity to send him away. He can buy a whole closet of new boots with his severance.
Black Oaks

Postby Mountaincat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 am

Black Oaks wrote:
why is Todd Graham coaching in the bowl game? Did he win a consolation prize for being fired. They are paying him his full buyout anyway. If he is that bad, then he should have cleared out of Edwards office already. Of course maybe he has.

Good question, I expect it is for his resume. Might help him get is next "dream job". No rush of course. ASu will dip into the old cans of corn annuity to send him away. He can buy a whole closet of new boots with his severance.

.......Has anyone informed Todd that $12M of canned corn is being delivered to his home the day after the he loses the bowl game? (I assume he didn't read the fine print in his contract)
Mountaincat

Postby sharkeez » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm

i think ASu took on unnecessary risk with the hiring of Herm. perhaps ASu's AD felt that keeping the two coordinators in place was the risk reducer (with the OC being the most important one to keep in place).
ASu could have potentially hired Sumlin (with his hand-picked staff) and had a seemingly less-risky (and proven) "CEO" at the college game and a very potent recruiting staff.
sharkeez

Return to Football