Let it burn...

Discussion on Sean Miller and the Arizona Basketball team

Re: Let it burn...

Postby FlagCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Actually to me UofA football would seem like quite an uplifting conversation topic at the moment. To think that a few days ago the biggest thing weighing on my mind as a fan was our QB situation.
FlagCat

Postby Filthy Cats » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:42 pm

ValleyCat wrote:Agree entirely with JMCCATS. I am disgusted with both UofA football & basketball. I hope every dirty shoe company guy, every dirty AAU club coach, every dirty agent & every dirty coach gets nailed and drummed out of the sport. And that includes Sean Miller if he knew of or condoned or allowed Book to do his thing.

Hear! Hear!
Filthy Cats

Postby Filthy Cats » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm

FlagCat wrote:Actually to me UofA football would seem like quite an uplifting conversation topic at the moment. To think that a few days ago the biggest thing weighing on my mind as a fan was our QB situation.

So true. Inside, you know RichRod is like "thank you Arizona Basketball" for taking the heat off my ass for a few weeks! Who knows, maybe the football team uses this as inspiration, holding the flag of the University, and upsets Colorado.

How sad for fans though...typically our shittiest days are reserved for football. And we could always say "well at least we have basketball".

Soon, we may not have that comforting fallback anymore.
Filthy Cats

Postby Vegascat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:22 pm

ValleyCat wrote:Agree entirely with JMCCATS. I am disgusted with both UofA football & basketball. I hope every dirty shoe company guy, every dirty AAU club coach, every dirty agent & every dirty coach gets nailed and drummed out of the sport. And that includes Sean Miller if he knew of or condoned or allowed Book to do his thing.

Don't forget the greedy parents and players. The dirt bags you reference (appropriately described) are going to continue doing what they do as long as the players and their families have their hands out for payment. When a player secretly takes money, and then willingly plays for that school knowing that he is ineligible and placing the school at risk with the NCAA, that player in my view has violated 18 U.S.C. 1346 (honest services fraud). When the monies are paid to the parents and are not disclosed as income, or reported in a cash transaction report under Title 31, the parents are committing other felonies.

Perhaps the United States Attorneys should start some prosecutions of players and parents to send a message that if you do this, the worst that can happen to you will not be simply waiting a little longer to get to the NBA. They might think a little longer and harder if the ramifications were balling in the prison yard as opposed to under the bright lights.
Vegascat

Postby JMCCATS » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 pm

To be fair, I'm more conflicted when it comes to the players and their families. We all know a lot of these kids are coming from tough circumstances and it's great to see them take advantage of their God-given talents and abilities and do something great like play professional basketball, make a great living for themselves, their families and give back to their communities as so many already do. Point being, though, there already exist a ton of opportunities for these kids if they're good enough. So get the money out of college ball. Let them go pro. Sure, some will sink, but, hey, that's life and it happens to plenty of other folks in society.

I also have a tough time seeing how most kids - and I'm talking your annual Top 100ish recruits - will still have any interest in being a student and having to worry about academic requirements if they're going to get paid. Assuming the OAD rule goes by the wayside - and I think that's a foregone conclusion at this point - no one who is NBA-caliber who can play ball for money here or abroad is going to want to worry about school. So why even play the game of charades?

BEAR DOWN!!!
JMCCATS

Previous

Return to Basketball