No New Info In The Star...

Discussion on Sean Miller and the Arizona Basketball team

No New Info In The Star...

Postby b_dog » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 am

...just a re-hash of what came out yesterday. Not surprising. But, of course, we get their always-beloved ace columnist to weigh in with his always-valuable insight:

"It’s as if McKale Center itself burned to the ground."

"If it’s not yet the worst day in UA basketball history — in Tucson sports history — it will possibly turn out that way. It is apt to become our own unhappy Watergate."

"Arizona’s basketball program will go from the Big Dance to the Big House."

"An immeasurable sense of dread engulfs Tucson."

A decent English teacher would give that essay a C-.

I'm sure somebody will pipe up with the always helpful "Well, I think he's right" five-word post. Thanks in advance for that. But the Christmas morning delight of deservedly embattled newsies cranking out their hyperbolic prose to cash in on something like this with dreams of increased readership and even -- gasp! -- in-house industry awards is fully expected and typically grotesque.

But, hey...thanks for all the useful context.
Bear Down
b_dog

Re: No New Info In The Star...

Postby Black Oaks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:01 am

It is that particular writer's wet dream. Would he rush to condemn any sports figure or program before the whole story is known? Why yes. If it were BYU or heaven forbid Utah St? Me thinks not. But in his twisted mind, we shall become the UTEP of college basketball perhaps as early as next month. And he will b e ever so happy to smugly report it.

Bearing Down on people who rejoice in the tragedy and failures of others
Black Oaks

What Always Kills Me Is The Stock Reaction To Any Critique

Postby b_dog » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:01 am

It's always an inaccurate overreaction. "Oh, the angry illiterate lunkhead mob wants to blame us for just doing our job (buzzwords) and telling the truth (more buzzwords.)" Nope; never have and never will. It's the overwrought language, rank speculation, and consistent unsupported (and frequently incorrect) assumptions; anything to attract readers. In a newspaper, people value photos, quotes, stats, and an aggregation of useful information. They don't especially appreciate being held as a captive audience in order to access the preceding data and being forced to hear from yet another opinionated (person) with questionable motives. And that's a partial factor in readership nose-diving. Claiming that phenomenon is entirely due to societal changes and on-line alternatives is a cop-out. Customer focus is always the answer. If you don't respect your readers and you do things like blocking comments to avoid being outed when you're wrong, you've told them you don't care if they leave. And that's exactly what many have done and will continue to do.
Bear Down
b_dog

Postby Oro Valley Cat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 am

Doesn't help that the paper is $45 a month now also
OVC
Oro Valley Cat

Postby KaibabKat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Oro Valley Cat wrote:Doesn't help that the paper is $45 a month now also

When it went to that price this month I cancelled - wish that a lot of others would do the same.
KaibabKat

Return to Basketball