My suggestions ... a rough draft

Discussion on Sean Miller and the Arizona Basketball team

My suggestions ... a rough draft

Postby 1976er » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:21 am

Let me preface this by saying I do not think this FBI purge is going to get as far-reaching as most people think. This was one pyramid (unfortunately our pyramid !!!). There may be 5, 10, 15 others, who knows. But this investigation was centered on one stool pigeon and the information he pled out with the feds. It was Adidas and a few wannabe agents. Could just as easily have been Nike or UnderArmour and other scumbag agents. It just happened Book's pyramid is the one being taken down. Rest assured by now, the remaining characters in this fiasco are covering their tracks big-time.

My idea for the NCAA is this .... I like the baseball model, go pro or go to school for 3 years, but it probably won't happen, and waiting for the NBA to go back to drafting kids out of highschool ... well, I am not holdinng my breath for that either. So here is what I think is a good starting point for the NCAA: let the 15-20 one-and-done kids legally sign on with the shoe companies and even an agent if they want to ... and let them choose the school of their choice, BUT AS WALK-ONS, they can afford to pay their own way if the want to play in college for a year that badly.

Another solution to level the playing field is make all scholies 4 year windows (only medical redshirts will be allowed). If a kid decides to go pro after 1 year, or 2 or even 3 .... that scholarship is lost to the program until that kid's class graduates. At least this way, we put more of the student into the laughable phrase "student athlete". And it will force coaches to think more about their program's future (this is for you Calipari), rather than trying to keep up with the blue-chipper arms race.

Look, I understand once the kids enroll boosters come out of the woodwork at alot of places, but that type of corruption will never be policed or stopped, it is impossible. Besides, that is small potatoes when compared to the sad one-and-done fraud and corruption going on with the AAU and the shoe companies.

Feel free to tweak these suggestions, there has to be a better system than the one we have. Or maybe, just maybe the NCAA power schools don't want change .... it might affect their profits.
1976er

Re: My suggestions ... a rough draft

Postby Black Oaks » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:02 am

What yo write has much virtue. The situation as it now exists is not enforceable. The other version is a death penalty for any program that pays their students or any agent that pays students. No participation in NCAA sanctioned programs for 5 year. And really enforce the rules, no 3 game slap on the wrist. Put the fear of the law in anyone who wants to break the rules. The rules exist to provide a level playing field and the athlete can chose where he wants to go. So let them choose, but if they take illegal aid, they are out of college ball or life. Go to school fine, but not play.

Bearing Down on fixing an broken system
Black Oaks

Postby b_dog » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:50 am

Permanent NCAA ineligibility for anyone who ever plays for a shoe company supported AAU team. Play for your high school team. Sorry if you don't get visibility or bling, and sorry if college coaches can't just go to Vegas and scout tournaments. I'd also love to prevent the outside deals by coaches with the shoe companies, but I'm sure the legal beagles would call that restraint of trade. This thing of morons making companies billions from only buying the shoe LeBron or the Tar Heels wear is mind-bogglingly stupid. Throwing the ironically named AAU out would fix a lot of it. The other one would be to raise the entrance requirements so that most future pros can't get in. I'm sure that would face legal challenges, too. But as long as it's a level playing field, I'd be okay with seeing Joe Slide Rule play for his alma mater against John Oscilloscope. College ball wouldn't be the massive enterprise it is today, but the pros could pay for their own minor league system, with the Reno Rustlers or something, and what was left would be in fact college ball. Sorry if casual fans wouldn't have the local college serve as their minor league entertainment which they want to see exactly mimic the pros. Kind of weird to see how we've "evolved" over the last 50 years with shoe and TV companies now calling all the shots. If you'd written a book predicting it back then, people would have laughed it off.
Bear Down
b_dog

Postby JMCCATS » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 am

b_dog wrote:Permanent NCAA ineligibility for anyone who ever plays for a shoe company supported AAU team. Play for your high school team. Sorry if you don't get visibility or bling, and sorry if college coaches can't just go to Vegas and scout tournaments. I'd also love to prevent the outside deals by coaches with the shoe companies, but I'm sure the legal beagles would call that restraint of trade. This thing of morons making companies billions from only buying the shoe LeBron or the Tar Heels wear is mind-bogglingly stupid. Throwing the ironically named AAU out would fix a lot of it. The other one would be to raise the entrance requirements so that most future pros can't get in. I'm sure that would face legal challenges, too. But as long as it's a level playing field, I'd be okay with seeing Joe Slide Rule play for his alma mater against John Oscilloscope. College ball wouldn't be the massive enterprise it is today, but the pros could pay for their own minor league system, with the Reno Rustlers or something, and what was left would be in fact college ball. Sorry if casual fans wouldn't have the local college serve as their minor league entertainment which they want to see exactly mimic the pros. Kind of weird to see how we've "evolved" over the last 50 years with shoe and TV companies now calling all the shots. If you'd written a book predicting it back then, people would have laughed it off.

All of this. Get the money out. Corruption will inevitably follow as long as there's significant money in play. The side benefit that no one mentions is how high school sports are slowly dying across the country. They could get a well-needed boost from all of this if it's handled the way I think it should.

BEAR DOWN!!!
JMCCATS

Postby greg23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Sorry but all of these suggestions are laughable and unrealistic.

Ban anyone who plays for an aau team sponsored by a sbie company?

Isn't every college kid then playing for a college team/coach sponsored by a shoe company?

Actually now that i think abiut it; it's so ass-backward and ironic, that I wouldn't put it past the ncaa to come up with that rule.

Just let kids hire agents; market themselves while in college and/or receive loans from the agents. Everyone is making money off the kids but the kids......let the free market decide what each kid should get or not get.
greg23

Postby Black Oaks » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:28 pm

let the free market decide what each kid should get or not get.

Isn't that what is going on right now?

Bearing Down on an imperfect system
Black Oaks

Postby greg23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes....but everything has to be done below board as its against ncaa rules for these kids to be given a penny and now it's become a federal offense.

Let them pick a school, hire an agent to loan them money and sign endorsements anytime someone wants to pay the kids money
greg23

Return to Basketball