The longer Miller goes without addressing the questions,

Discussion on Sean Miller and the Arizona Basketball team

Re: The longer Miller goes without addressing the questions,

Postby AzCatFan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:32 am

I understand why Miller and company aren't speaking, but I'd wish Heeke would give a simple statement saying there will be no further comments until the internal investigation is done. Not even a press conference, just a simple release stating that once we know all the facts from the investigation, the University will then take steps to make corrections and self punish if necessary. Until then, everything will be as normal as possible around the basketball program.

If Miller speaks now and says he wasn't involved at all but the internal investigation proves otherwise, then what? If Miller speaks and admits he knew of the violations, then all hell breaks loose. Better to be patient, as much as it annoys us fans, and let things play out.
AzCatFan

Postby cerec_cat » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am

Isn't what that mass email from Heeke said?
cerec_cat

Postby AzCatFan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am

cerec_cat wrote:Isn't what that mass email from Heeke said?

Yes, but this was an email directed to fans. Picked up by the media, but not necessarily a statement made directly to the media. The email also doesn't state specifically that Heeke is ordering silence on the topic until the investigation is complete and the U has a chance to go over the findings with a fine tooth comb. By not making these statements directly, it has allowed the media and us fans to wonder why Miller hasn't said anything. It's a short-term loose end that can easily be tied up in my opinion.
AzCatFan

Is this what everybody has been waiting for?

Postby Vegascat » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Vegascat

Postby XrayCat » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm

And the comments following the tweet are exactly why he didn't need you to say anything. Oaks is right. The level of cynicism in this country automatically makes it nearly impossible for him to make a statement that satisfies the masses.

"Lute help!"

"What is not being said?"

"This is his statement? Lame."

"Yeah right, no way he didn't know what Book was doing with everything that's been said."

Etc.

Miller can't win. Even if he's found to be clear of any wrongdoing there will always be those fans who will doubt and question everything Miller says in the future. Eventually the results of all the investigations will be known. I truly hope Miller is cleared. Only time will tell.
XrayCat

Postby JMCCATS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Not to read too much into it, but the fact that the statement was put out by Arizona Athletics and then backed in a separate statement from Robbins says to me that Miller might be on pretty stable ground after all. Whether it's actually good news or not remains to be seen with an ongoing investigation, I realize.

BEAR DOWN!!!
JMCCATS

Postby BearDownAZ » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Its a start I suppose but I think he would have been better off without issuing a statement than the general statement that ended up being issued. There was simply no reason for it and pointing to his record of compliance here at UofA for 8 years instead of addressing the specific issues or stating that he had zero knowledge of the activities of Book means almost nothing.
BearDownAZ

Postby FlagCat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 am

Whether or not it needed to be issued, I'm not sure about. But it did answer some questions. We can deduce from this along with statements from Robbins and Heeke that Miller hasn't been implicated in anything and has the support of the Admin "based on the facts known at this time". For all we knew before the statements were issued, things could have been a lot worse at this point.
FlagCat

Postby szabo2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Why are you blaming Hansen? He's just doing his job. Miller must have known about this and, if he has a player on his team who has been paid, why don't we know? Why is the kid still playing...if there is a player who was paid. Why don't the president and AD have some balls and find out themselves, rather than spend millions of dollars on lawyers to deflect their responsibility?
szabo2

Postby Black Oaks » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 am

szabo2 wrote:Why are you blaming Hansen? He's just doing his job. Miller must have known about this and, if he has a player on his team who has been paid, why don't we know? Why is the kid still playing...if there is a player who was paid. Why don't the president and AD have some balls and find out themselves, rather than spend millions of dollars on lawyers to deflect their responsibility?

Well last season Hansen was urging season ticket holders to stay home in protest of the teams that were scheduled. Nice of him to do so. Hansen has a perpetual pout on when talking contemporary sports. You may love the guy, but I rarely see him come out with a ringing endorsement of anyone basketball or football early. Frequently after the season is over he will say well athlete x was good, but athlete y from UCLA was better. I remember one of our final 4 teams loaded with future NBA players. On the post season all PAC team, Hansen did not vote for 1 Arizona player because at each position he felt that there was some other player on some other team that was better. Not 1 Arizona player. You say just doing his job, I say just being a putz.

If, If, IF what if Sean was absolutely meticulous and pure? What if a player got free tennis shoes from some summer league program that had nothing to do with Arizona or the Arizona staff?

What if all this rumble occurred before the president and Heeke were even here? They have hired experts of their own to find out what happened, they have said so, the experts are investigation. When the experts finish their investigation we will all know I am sure.

The FBI had enough on Book to arrest him. If they had enough on anyone else, they would have arrested them also. He was arrested and the president and the AD are going through the process of firing Book. As far as I can tell, they are moving swiftly and do their respective jobs. They are in contact with the NCAA with more to follow I am sure.

Bearing Down on why not cool all the fevered brows out there and just see what comes up without prejudging anyone?
Black Oaks

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball