The longer Miller goes without addressing the questions,

Discussion on Sean Miller and the Arizona Basketball team

"He's Just Doing His Job" Is B.S.

Postby b_dog » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Sorry, and I won't overstate matters with the obvious comparison, but that's a cop-out, and I have some fairly substantial professional background in this area. Being a newspaper writer does NOT give you license to make early bogus know-it-all claims based purely on slanted opinion and poor or non-existent research and then flip/flop when you're wrong purely to be "entertaining" to trusting readers who don't know any better. People should be a lot more discriminating in who they trust and form their own opinions, based on data. And part of that data is to keep track of who is consistent and knows what they're talking about. Nobody there gives a shit about a factual representation of events; just sensational story lines, attacking "safe" targets, and trying to save the jobs of some pretty mediocre newspaper employees who deserve to discover how well their alleged talents actually fit in to the competitive marketplace. I bear no malice or ill-will toward anyone, but when people get fat and arrogant working for a monopoly enterprise, true journalism involves poking those people with a needle, from the 1770s to today. And anybody worth their salt understands that concept. The hoary notion of safely firing broadsides without reprisal from behind the battlements of a newspaper ended a long time ago. Dinosaurs can still be seen roaming around in there, but they're not particularly relevant, and we know the eventual outcome...meteors or not.
Bear Down
b_dog

Re: The longer Miller goes without addressing the questions,

Postby Black Oaks » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:08 am

Being a newspaper writer does NOT give you license to make early bogus know-it-all claims based purely on slanted opinion and poor or non-existent research and then flip/flop when you're wrong purely to be "entertaining" to trusting readers who don't know any bette

I look forward to the sports article in the Star about how the Denver Post sports department has passed the Star sports page. Lots of whys and hows and ifs to explain why this is. I have already read the stories of how Utah and Colorado football have passed Arizona and did not agree with them.

Bearing Down on a story I shall never see but you get my point.
Black Oaks

Re: The longer Miller goes without addressing the questions,

Postby Redondo Beach Cat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:42 am

I hope this isn't a case of writing a story ...to have a story. Remember the movie from the early 1980's - Absence of Malice (Sally Fields and Paul Newman). The press and government officials - creating something to justify their jobs and existence. I don't trust the press and I don't trust the government. Bad combination. The press...I know from experience. They always need a story - doesn't matter who they hurt along the way.
Redondo Beach Cat

Previous

Return to Basketball