Report: UofA to publicly deny $150,000 offer allegation

Discussion on Sean Miller and the Arizona Basketball team

Report: UofA to publicly deny $150,000 offer allegation

Postby ValleyCat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 pm

To be clear, the federal government has not alleged that UofA offered a recruit $150,000. A subject of the investigation apparently said it in a recorded conversation. The idea of a $150,000 seems ridiculous on it's face. Nonetheless, Morales says UofA will deny it.

allsportstucson.com/2017/10/04/source-arizona-preparing-claim-allegation-of-150000-offered-to-recruit-is-false/
ValleyCat

Re: Report: UofA to publicly deny $150,000 offer allegation

Postby BearDownAZ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Since it is nothing more than hearsay, I would hope we would deny it. Hopefully there isn't anything that comes out from the investigations conducted by the FBI or UofA or soon to be conducted by the NCAA that would refute the public denial.
BearDownAZ

Re: Report: UofA to publicly deny $150,000 offer allegation

Postby AzCatFan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:40 pm

To me, I see three reasons to dispute the $150,000 to Little. One, it is nothing but hearsay and truth is, we never offered Little 6 figures. Or any money, and the player's family was just trying to exhort more money from Adidas. If this is the case, however, then the bluff has to be believable. You don't say Boise State is offering Little $150,000 because nobody would believe that an elite player would go there, or Boise would cough up that kind of money. If this is the case, we don't have much to worry about given our recent history of good behavior with the NCAA. We'll likely get a slap on the wrist and move on.

Second scenario is all the evidence is just hearsay, and we're hoping no new evidence comes to light to say otherwise. Risky, in my opinion, since if new evidence does come to light, the NCAA will likely hammer us pretty hard. It's not the crime that's always bad. It's the cover-up that is usually worse. Eventually, somebody usually does talk, just like in the Reggie Bush case, as the NCAA originally didn't have the evidence to do anything. This is why I don't think the UA legal team would advise speaking out against the claim if our best hope of not getting caught is nobody singing.

Third scenario is the Miller and the UA Athletic Department are helping the FBI rat out other coaching staffs and fully cooperating. In return, the FBI will likely 86 all the worst evidence against Miller and it will never see the light of day, let alone the NCAA. As it stands, the evidence against Miller is only hearsay, and although there is a lot of smoke, the NCAA won't be able to make fire without the FBI's evidence. If this is the case, we're being pragmatic and although I don't like it, I can live with it.

Anybody have any other reasons/scenarios why Arizona would deny the allegation?
AzCatFan

Return to Basketball