That's One

Discussion on Jay Johnson and the Arizona Baseball team

That's One

Postby b_dog » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

Now let's pick up at least one more and get on with bigger and better things.
Bear Down
b_dog

Re: That's One

Postby AzCatFan » Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am

Ugly game, and I'm not just talking about ASu's colors! Both sides played sloppy ball. But bottom line, we got the win, and that's all that matters.

On a positive note, it looks like our bullpen is taking shape and the pitchers will know their roles the rest of the year. Flynn was solid in relief. As was Megill. Rivas only faced one batter and walked him, but he was brought in lefty on lefty to face ASu's best hitter, and didn't give him anything to hit. Made him foul off some very tough pitches to earn the walk. It's something I'm sure JJ can live with.Overall, our pen pitched 3.2 innings, giving up 2 runs, 1 earned. That's not that bad.
AzCatFan

Postby Doug » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am

I didn't think it was sloppy at all

We executed a 2 RBI squeeze. With our #4 hitter.

That is brilliant execution. Otherwise, it was, I think, a pretty well played game overall considering the emotions, our need for a win, and their complete and total meltdown in the dugout and clubhouse this season.
Doug

Postby AzCatFan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am

We had another error plus how many wild pitches. Not to mention, a passed ball. The 2 RBI squeeze was executed perfectly, but the double play squeeze was sloppy. Cloney walked 3 and the pen walked 2 more.

ASu was even more sloppy. Two errors and a number of misplayed balls that turned into Texas leaguer hits.

Overall, sloppy game, but a W is still a W.
AzCatFan

Postby Doug » Fri May 19, 2017 1:09 pm

To me, that is college ball.

That game had real, pro level execution at times, and Cloney struck out 7 in 5.1 to go with those walks. 3 walks in 5.1 in college isn't insane. Especially for a guy that throws 37 MPH and has to work corners and out of the zone to survive. ASu hitters were just patient.

It isn't really worth arguing because one person's shit is another's treasure, but this looked more like Friday baseball to me than the last meeting of the two teams. ASu played above their level this year, but, yeah...they are a dumpster fire and suck, so they shit the bed a few times. I just have seen that in a lot of college games.
Doug

Postby AzCatFan » Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Yes, I don't expect college baseball to be played at a professional level. But before last night, Cloney had 14 walks in 12 starts and never walked more than 2 in a game in less than 6 innings. Last night, 3 BB in 5.1. Yes, give credit to ASu hitters, but when going into the game you average 1 BB every 5 innings, and triple your average, that's a sign that Cloney wasn't on his game. It happens.

And ASu was very sloppy as well. Two errors in one inning by the SS that lead to our runs. Numerous misplayed balls that fell as hits, and no situational awareness on the squeeze bunt that plated two. We were fortunate to get the win. And had ASu played a more clean game, they probably get the W. And most teams we'll face in the post-season will be better than ASu.
AzCatFan

Return to Baseball