Full Roster

Discussion on Jay Johnson and the Arizona Baseball team

Full Roster

Postby b_dog » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:30 pm

So we finally have a roster that includes freshmen and transfers.

http://arizonawildcats.com/roster.aspx? ... &sort=name
Bear Down
b_dog

Re: Full Roster

Postby JMCCATS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks! What's your early guess on a starting rotation? Deason and Seever would seem to be locks with maybe Flynn and Megill in the mix? Have to confess I'm not nearly up to speed and we're almost to opening day. Yikes!

BEAR DOWN!!!
JMCCATS

No Huge Surprises

Postby b_dog » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:42 am

Under J.J. things seem pretty stable. So, the core of veteran fielding and pitching positions would seem to be approximately as expected months ago, pushed by some JCs, with a nice group of freshmen coming in.

As far as losses, it's just a couple of freshman pitchers who didn't make it onto campus, and a couple of players from well down the depth chart who chose to move on to other things. I don't know the back story on any of this, but Catcher/DH Cory Voss was a redshirt junior last year, and I'll guess he graduated and decided to get on with life after college baseball. SS Shane Martinez came in as part of last year's freshman class, but there's competition from Cameron Cannon, JC Travis Moniot, and freshman Kobe Kato, and he left. And Junior pitcher Landon Faulkner wasn't likely to see many innings and is also gone. Of the recruits, RHP Jonathan Stroman of Albuquerque was picked by Tampa Bay in the 39th round, and I'm not sure what the story is for diminutive RHP J.J. Montenegro of Dallas.

Back to the likely everyday lineup, I'd assume the veterans will hold forth, although positions may get juggled around: Cal Stevenson, Cameron Cannon, Alfonso Rivas, Cesar Salazar, Nick Quintana, Mitch Morimoto, Ryan Haug, Matt Frazier. They'll get competition from JCs C Michael Benson, SS Travis Moniot, 1B Cameron Haskell, and 6-4 Oregon transfer Matt Dyer (although I'm not sure if he has to redshirt.) Incoming freshmen that seem most like to see the field would be OF Donta Williams, big OF/DH/1B types Tate Soderstrom and Blake Paugh, infielders Jacob Blas and Kobe Kato, and C Jake Meyer. As to the pitching rotation, Cody Deason is a for sure, and I'll assume Tylor Megill as the closer. Southpaw senior Jason Seever has apparently looked good. Mike Flynn is solid and experienced. A lefty like Seever or JC transfer Avery Weems might get sandwiched in as a Saturday starter between the righties. Lefty JC Zach Stone will probably get a look, and we'll see if yet another lefty, Randy Labaut, can reach his considerable potential this year. Beyond that, it's the staff of returning veterans, and you never know who added or perfected another pitch or two, improved accuracy, or added 5 mph due to physical maturity or some other physical breakthrough. It seems to happen nearly every year, so you can't discount it. It's the "where has THAT guy been?" syndrome.

So that's what it looks like from here. We're picked fourth, and I'd say that's about right. I expect a very solid and competitive season, with a chance to make some postseason noise.
Bear Down
b_dog

Postby JMCCATS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:10 am

Excellent. Thank you, sir.

BEAR DOWN!!!
JMCCATS

More

Postby b_dog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 am

J.J. was on 1290 with the boys yesterday. Sounds like Travis Moniot has SS all but locked up. Otherwise, as far as position players go, he made it sound like it'll be the veterans who will lead the way in the roster with improved play since last season. He did mention that C Mike Benson will get plenty of at bats at DH. On the mound, it sounds like Mike Flynn will be the closer. He mentioned Deason as a starter, and also said that Tylor Megill has lost weight, really transformed his body, and made some changes to his delivery in very impressive fashion. And, he mentioned Weems. So, it might be something like Deason, Weems, and Megill, with Flynn as the closer.
Bear Down
b_dog

Postby JMCCATS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Yeah, I heard Woodman tease the interview but couldn't stick around to listen so appreciate the additional update. Interesting that he brought up Benson at DH. Sort of wondering who the big bat will be -- Rivas might be that guy, but wonder if we won't see a lot of "JJ Ball" this year. I hope Nick Quintana brings it - got off to a pretty good start last season but really seemed to hit the freshman wall down the stretch.

BEAR DOWN!!!
JMCCATS

Postby AzCatFan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't mind the JJ Ball at all, especially with the deep fences at the Hi C. I also think, in college ball, running, sacrificing, and putting pressure on the defense to make a play works more often than not.

I also agree that Quintana needs to bring it all year this year. Started out fast but faded. Not sure if it was just hitting a freshman wall or if opposing teams found a better way to attack him at the plate. Either way, let's hope whatever the issue was, it was worked on over the offseason and is fixed.
AzCatFan

Postby rickyk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I don't follow baseball recruiting all that much but it looks to me like we lost a lot of our frosh class this year to MLB. That pitcher from CG was one I was really looking forward to seeing.
rickyk

Postby NativeCat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:08 am

rickyk wrote:I don't follow baseball recruiting all that much but it looks to me like we lost a lot of our frosh class this year to MLB. That pitcher from CG was one I was really looking forward to seeing.

The player that I think you are referring to is left hander Gil Luna.....he is on the team roster, and JJ had some very complimentary things to say about the potential he shows after the Fall workouts.
NativeCat

Next

Return to Baseball