Ruh Roh ....

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team
Post a reply

Ruh Roh ....

Postby Stu Gotz » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:18 pm

Stu Gotz

Re: Ruh Roh ....

Postby Tex Cat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:51 pm

It would be amusing (if this happened) to hear Graham's comments on loyalty and sticking to a job.
Tex Cat

Postby Redfoot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Starting with, "Mercenaries!" perhaps?
Redfoot

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Report today is he's staying with ASu.
Stallion

Postby Stu Gotz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Stallion wrote:Report today is he's staying with ASu.

Don't underestimate Cracker's ability to give raises to keep guys from leaving. The republic reported today that he gave his OL coach a $100k raise (to $450k) recently to keep him from leaving. The guy just keeps opening up the checkbook, it seems. How is it he's able to do that?
Stu Gotz

Postby 87 Devil » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Part of it has to do with what the AD permits him to do. That being said, it is my understanding that there are also arbitrary limits to what assistants can be paid dictated by their title by the board of regents. Some folks over here had a blast making fun of the titles that TG has given coaches, but there is more to it then meets the eye. In order to be able to pay those guys the salaries he wanted to pay them, he needed a new or different title that did not have a cap restriction. It is my understanding that by Calling Norvell Deputy Head Coach instead of simply offensive coordinator permitted him to bump his salary.
87 Devil

Postby 87 Devil » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Also, keep in mind, Norvell was being paid 700K. The new offensive coordinator is being paid 500k, so that leaves some extra cash he can slide over the offensive line coach. So, in this case, he did not have to come up with any extra money. He is just giving his OL coach a bit of what Norvell was making.
87 Devil

Postby Stu Gotz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:29 pm

87 Devil wrote:Also, keep in mind, Norvell was being paid 700K. The new offensive coordinator is being paid 500k, so that leaves some extra cash he can slide over the offensive line coach. So, in this case, he did not have to come up with any extra money. He is just giving his OL coach a bit of what Norvell was making.

It sure sounded like Lindsey was in serious discussion with his old school, so it wouldn't surprise me if it comes out that Graham ponied up some $$ to keep his new OC. If so, well played by Chip, being a few days before LOI and all.
Stu Gotz

Postby 87 Devil » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:42 pm

It is certainly possible. These days, good assistants go for a premium. UCLA, Washington, Oregon, and USC are all paying top dollar for big time assistants. The SEC pays some of its assistants more then some schools pay their head coaches. Keeping good assistants is huge when it comes to recruiting and continuity. If TG did up the pay, I am glad he did. It shows the school's commitment to the program. When a school will not pay to keep good assistants, it just sends a bad message that the school is not committed to excellence. I think one problem Utah is having is that they are not paying their assistants, and they keep having to rebuild their staff every year. TG has done a good job keeping his staff in place until this year, when Norvell moved on and took a few with him. RR has kept his staff in place for the most part, and those that left this year were really fired instead of voluntarily leaving. RR is going to need a few years with the new defensive staff to really make a difference as it looks like this year is just a year to hold ground. Next year will be the test for the staff, both on the field and in recruiting.

Bottom line, if the school is really committed, then they need to put your money where their mouth is, and both hire and keep top assistants.
87 Devil

I don't have any knowledge to refute what 87 Devil says....

Postby ValleyCat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:12 pm

but the idea that the Arizona Board of Regents sets limits on assistant coach salaries seems ridiculous to me. By that I mean, if they do it, that's ridiculous. While they approve head coaches' contract, they don't set the salary. They leave it to the university President.

And if the Board of Regents has decreed that there are real distinctions between Assistant Head Coach, Deputy Head Coach. associate Head Coach, Junior Head Coach, etc., the Board of Regents doesn't have enough real work to do.
ValleyCat

Next

Post a reply

Return to Football