For all you Roster nerds like me (no this is not a roster)

Discussion on Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona Football team
Post a reply

For all you Roster nerds like me (no this is not a roster)

Postby Iggy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:49 am

But I just read on Gimino's blog that deBeer is up to 315 now.

"He's solid. He's not fat," Michalczik said.

Damn….
Iggy

Re: For all you Roster nerds like me (no this is not a roste

Postby Black Oaks » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:41 am

Iggy wrote:But I just read on Gimino's blog that deBeer is up to 315 now.

"He's solid. He's not fat," Michalczik said.

Damn….

We will have a monster line, big and deep. We just need to figure out who the center will be.

Bearing Down on the locomotive that pull the load
Black Oaks

Postby catnaz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 am

My annual rant: Update the damn weights on the official roster more than every two or years!
catnaz

Postby Wildcat Jones » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 am

catnaz wrote:My annual rant: Update the damn weights on the official roster more than every two or years!

If RR doesn't want to do it (like Lopez in baseball), maybe Coach Jay Johnson will update football roster weights! The guy says he sleeps 8 hrs a day and works the other 16, and changed our roster/info/marketing style in his first 10 minutes after arriving in Tucson!

Agree, please get accurate updated height/weight before spring practice and then again for fall practice.
Wildcat Jones

Re: updating weights

Postby catballer5 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:03 am

I see your points about updating weights but I also could care less. The athletic trainers would need to get the official weight and I would rather have them working on preventing injuries and rehabbing student-athletes than worrying about jotting down an official weight to get it to the sports media office to update a website.
catballer5

Different approaches I guess

Postby Wildcat Jones » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:19 am

I will say, of course we all want staff to be preventing or working out injuries for our players as the primary focus of our athletic trainers. That goes w/o saying.

But the could care less attitude does NOT help generate excitement for your fan base at all. And in 2016, and with all the instant info at all of our fingertips, it's valued by a reasonably large percentage of the paying fan base. Coach Lopez also didn't give one rats ass about updating anything on his roster, OR even giving us a roster. The new coach has changed that, and is trying to do everything he can to help promote excitement in Arizona baseball and get more butts in the seats, which he also realizes will help win games. As we all know, no matter what sport, the more fans of the home team cheering loudly only helps excite and motivate the home team, it certainly doesn't hurt. On that note, RR himself wants/wishes UA football stadium to be sold out and for the fans to stay. So my idea is do all the small things to make fans excited about the program. It could be done so easily without taking any priority off the training staff to have the players get on a scale before spring and fall camps, and then have someone on the official website staff post that info. Again, twice a year. :D
Wildcat Jones

Re: updating weights

Postby catnaz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:24 am

catballer5 wrote:I see your points about updating weights but I also could care less. The athletic trainers would need to get the official weight and I would rather have them working on preventing injuries and rehabbing student-athletes than worrying about jotting down an official weight to get it to the sports media office to update a website.

I'd image the trainers already keep up with the weights, certainly more than every two years, and that putting them in the roster is a simple admin function. But that's okay that you're not one of the roster nerds. I also think it's part of marketing your product, and all our past staffs and other teams don't seem to have a problem with the simple admin task of keeping official rosters up to date. Maybe someone in the sports media office should get out of their office chairs once or twice a year. Heck, I'll volunteer my time for free and drive down once or twice a year to update it if the sports media office is that strapped.
catnaz

Maybe publishing the weights is just trickination...

Postby El Gato » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am

Don't let the opposition know how big you really are.
El Gato

Re: Maybe publishing the weights is just trickination...

Postby Black Oaks » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 am

El Gato wrote:Don't let the opposition know how big you really are.

Lute used to under size some of his players on purpose. He siad it was to get into the heads of the other players. A guy was reported at 6'3 and would be 6'5.

As far as football goes, with the big boys, the difference between 295 and 310 is negligible. Speed, strength and agility or lack there of is much more important.

And as far a injuries go, and interesting aside from the OKG night was the following. When asked about the rash of injuries and was there some sort of training that needs to change Rich Rod said they looked at too much work, too little work too much contact, and on and on and could find no correlation. It just appeared to be random occurring events. But he side they have a new technique which has a name but he could not recall the official name. The trainers have a way of evaluating an athlete's muscular structure. Many athletes have one muscle on one side of the body that is stringer or weaker than the other. If some muscular imbalance is detected, they can develop an exercise routine to strengthen the weaker muscles and help balance the muscular system to prevent injuries. Kind of cool idea.

Bearing Down on this and that items of interest
Black Oaks

Postby catnaz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:54 pm

That's pretty funny. I had a player-coach back in day, Emmett Bryant (DePaul, Celtics, etc.) after his playing days, who did the opposite. He gave us 2 extra inches on our roster, so I was a 6'6" swing forward.

I think in this day and age at the D1 level, coaching staffs know almost everything about opposing players and aren't "tricked" by rosters with weights that are two-years old.

I think you're right Oaks about the difference between a 295 and 310 OL being negligible (and that weight isn't the most important thing), but there is a difference between a 264 and 296 DT when its the same guy and everyone knows the 264 is two years old. Heck, Zellers has been 247 since he walked on nearly 3 years ago.

I think somebody's just not doing the job, and it's not a priority for RR (but is for a lot of nerdy fans).
catnaz

Next

Post a reply

Return to Football