Basketball

I haven't complained about refs in 10 years of posting here.

Discussion on Sean Miller and the Arizona Basketball team

by Black Oaks » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:53 pm

AzCatFan wrote:Just in. The ref is sending our team bus to the line. Apparently BAsh touched the handrail and a hand check was called. It was the 7th whistle against us between the locker room and parking lot.

That was the Larry Scott gold standard ref crew. He is still going to fix basketball in the PAC 12.

Bearing Down on trips to Cancun and $25000 fines paying for them
Black Oaks

by Wildcat Jones » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:13 pm

With more ESPN games, the nation is seeing how bad our refs are. It's nothing we (Pac12 fans) haven't long known. Sadly, as bad as our refs used to be 5, 10, 15, 20 yrs ago, they are getting worse, not better. Pathetic. Even Walton and the other guy were hammering the refs and couldn't believe so many calls on either team. Walton made a great point by saying that if the refs (of any game) really wanted to look hard, they could find some foul on every single play. Which translates to let them play, only call real legit fouls and stop calling ticky tack crap.

I am proud of our team for fighting through. When your top 3 post players are saddled with major foul trouble, that's not easy. Ristic fouled out and Zeus and Ashley each ended the game with 4 fouls each.
Wildcat Jones

by Oro Valley Cat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:13 pm

the game. Would not have blamed him if he did just to prove the point at how utterly horrible that crew was.
OVC
Oro Valley Cat

by catnaz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:13 am

I got certified and reffed high school games for a few years back in the day, and tend to stick up for refs because I know first-hand how tough it is and that we fans are by far the most biased.

But I have to say, that was over-the-top piss-pour and one would hope the conference takes notice ... probably the first time I've ever complained about it ... except for maybe Sean's technical-gate which was proven right by the conference.

He touched the ball ... he touched the ball...
catnaz

by Doug » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:54 am

what bugs me the most is the lack of game to game consistency. Those looking to excuse the refs in that game could say "the refs called a consistent game...both teams were whistled for contact, which is a foul by the rules." And that is, in the most technical sense, accurate. But how do you prepare a team when what is not a foul one game is a foul the next game? That kind of inconsistency is more damaging than even inconsistency in officiating from ticky tack to anything goes within a single game. You can't prepare with any idea of what will be called, and you certainly cannot prepare your team to play with no physicality just in case that is the way the officials feel that day.

Walton had the best comment when he said (paraphrased) of the image of one of the refs on his screen "this official has had more say in the results of this game than any single player on the court." If a ref wants to call by the peach basket rules of the game, a foul could be called on every post up. Dave Pasch kept trying to insert the mitigating comment "it is the fault of the rules as written as much as the officials in this game" but that is just so much bullshit, because the rules as written have always given the official the ability to call the slightest of contact. Most officials will call the ball out of bounds when next to no contact leads to the ball going out off the defense, like on Stanley ' s 3rd and Zeus' 4th. No advantage gained by the contact, contact is minimal, give the ball to the offense and play on.

I am not a fan of excessive complaining about officiating. Virtually every fan in America thinks their team is being screwed by officials, with both sides in any game thinking they are the wronged. And the bizarre UCLA "Cancun-gate" aside, we have been the recipient of many home-game calls thanks to the environment in McKale, which always affects a ref. And Miller is all but holding of a "no technical fouls allowed" pass since Vegas. But last night was egregious in a way that usually even PAC 12 officiating can't lower itself to be. Our conference refs are terribly inconsistent and often over-involved, but I do believe we adjust as well as any team to that because we are simply more talented. Last night was impossible to adjust to in considering personnel losses. It was a disaster if you are trying to promote the game as fun to watch/attend. Yet, in the end, we might have come out on top because Stanford simply could not match us either in depth (Korcheck) or in creating opportunities on offense and defense in spite of, or in adjustment to, the shitty officiating. Because, in the end, our coach was better and our players were better. And, quite frankly, I think the refs pissed us off and we responded better than Stanford.
Doug

Previous

Return to Basketball

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts